Stephen,

I ran into the same problem with the following:

Transcend Motherboard
Athlon 1Ghz
128 MB RAM
Trident Video Card
Linksys Etherfast 10/100 Lan Card
Maxtor 40GB IDE drive

....but I finally got it to work after getting the installation to format
all of my partitions (used for linux) in the ext3 filesystem type, instead
of ext2.  It is still a little sluggish if I have X running and all that,
but other than that, if it is just run from a command prompt, everything is
fine.

Just for clairity, I am assuming you're installing RH 7.2.

Hope this helps,
Kevin