> 1st. It cannot find my mouse.  And it even tries to remove it during the hardware
>detection stage.  When I reboot to the old kernel 2.4.7, it finds it fine.  It's a
>simple Logitech Wheel USB mouse.  This is cause X not to start, so I'm trying to get
>advice on how I can troubleshoot this from the command line.  I have found very
>little on the web about installing modules, IF that is the problem.

You probably didn't compile support for the mouse or the stuff the mouse
uses into the kernel. What kind of mouse do you have and what port does it
use?

> The 2nd is, it's giving me this modprobe error about not being able to find
>char-10-135 around the time it syncs with the system clock.  This is a minor error,
>but it may give some clues on the previous problem.  I think both might have
>something to do with my modules not being installed correctly.  Eventhough I have
>followed the linuxdoc instructions explicitly.

Character special device major 10 minor 135 is /dev/rtc or the Real Time
Clock. You either didn't compile support into the kernel for it or you're
missing this:

crw-r--r--    1 root     root      10, 135 Mar 23  2001 /dev/rtc

You're probably modularizing things that shouldn't be. Stuff like the RTC
should be compiled monolithicly. Same goes for the mouse and the ports,
etc, on the motherboard.

Stuff that would go as modules would be (perhaps) audio, NIC, printer,
etc. I, personally, compile as much into the kernel as possible since
modules will slow a system down ever so slightly (not a biggie for most)
but if you don't have the parameters set correctly, you can hang your
system. If you have support for something compiled directly into the
kernel, then if there's a problem with the device.. the kernel will
typically skip right over it.

Again, all really low level things should be built monolithicly. Make the
basic/native stuff monolithic.. and maybe the frills and featurey stuff
modules.

-Statux