On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Keith Morse wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, rpjday wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Jackrabbit Slim wrote:
> >
> > > if I run it like this:
> > >
> > > # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512
> > >
> > > it will convert the entire hard drive to zeros right?  If I do that would I
> > > be able to rebuild partitions and the partition table from fdisk?
> >
> > ouch.  boy, you really are on a mission here.  the only issue is that
> > you would also zero the final two bytes of the MBR, which are x"aa55",
> > the standard signature of a PC's master boot record.  i don't know
> > enough about whether certain programs require that signature to be
> > present to recognize a boot record, so i'd be *very* reluctant to
> > overwrite them.
> >
> > but i don't see why you'd need to zero the *entire* disk, when zeroing
> > the disk's partition table is effectively doing the same thing.
> >
> > rday
>

> Well, since the topic was broached.  Would doing this be a satisfactory
> way of "zeroing" out the hard drive (no data retrevial possible) if the
> system was being sent to salavage (sold off)?

that would be a relatively safe way, yes.  for efficiency sake, if
you're going to do any sizable transfers with "dd", use a bigger
blocksize, like bs=100k or something.  the difference is noticeable.

rday

p.s.  i say "relatively" safe since computer forensics is allegedly
capable of extracting data from a "zeroed" disk by detecting lingering
magnetic values.  but this is not something you should worry about
if you're just going to give the disk away to charity or something.