I have a home LAN setup using RH7.2 as my core machine for mail, webserver,
caching DNS serving three other PCs (Wife's, my Win98 box and a laptop.) All well
and good.

Since I've been on vacation the last two weeks, I've done some experimenting,
adding two additional HDs to my Win98 box to try out various versions of
Linux---just to see how they worked.

I've had a common problem with Caldera 3.1, Mandrake 8.1 and RH7.2. I cannot dual
boot for Win98 and Linux.

The HD layout is:

/dev/hda        Win98SE (18GB) boot partition /dev/hda1
/dev/hdb        Linux (1.6GB) /boot  /home
/dev/hdc        CDROM
/dev/hdd        Linux (8GB) swap(512MB) /

The PC is a homebrew running a AMD Duron (800MHz), 192MB memory.

The common lilo problem is lilo hangs at boot showing only "LI".  I can boot
using a boot diskette.  With GRUB, the one time it was written to MBR (failed
continuously to write a MBR afterward,) filled the screen with "@" until I
manually rebooted.

Previous, before I'd installed /dev/hdd and with RH 7.0, I could dual boot with
lilo, not now.  I currently have RH7.2 loaded and have installed all the updates
and upgraded the kernel to 2.4.9-13.

Anyone give me any hints way I can't dual boot?