Hi Chuck,

 Thanx for all the input. The extra tty0 is helpful if you want to be able to
get kernel output on the local console. Right, I missed that. And the "S0"
entry indeed works fine as well.
 So you are telling the *getty doesn't make the difference. What probably does
is the fact that you supply the serial parameters on the append line. You have
already specified these in the "serial" entry, so just drop them on the append
line. Just use:
append="console=tty0 console=ttyS0"
. That works for me. Hope it does for you too :).

                                        Bye,

                                        Leonard.