Jeff> I hope this is the right list.  If not, tell me an i'll repost I have
Jeff> a laptop running RedHat 7.2.  Often i attach an external USB wheel
Jeff> mouse.  When it is attached, however, the touchpad is still active.
Jeff> How do I make the USB mouse (w/ wheel) active.  It doesn't matter if
Jeff> the touchpad is also active.

Since you're running 7.2, you can try enigma-list; but maybe this will give
you a bit of a head-start.  It's a couple snippets from my XF86Config-4; my
comments will look like [** this **]:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Anaconda Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"

[** The ServerLayout section is just as the 7.2 installer wrote it, with
the exception of the additional line for Mouse1 **]

EndSection

[** ... **]

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse1"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "AlwaysCore" "on"
EndSection

[** This InputDevice section is added just below the original section for
Mouse0; my understanding is that the Protocol, Device, and AlwaysCore
options are important **]

The strange this about this for me was that I first did this on a Vaio
PictureBook, and had to freshly boot the system in order for the mouse to
be recognized by X (restarting X alone didn't do it).  I then bought a new
USB mouse for my desktop (replacing an old PS/2 unit), and making these
changes worked as soon as I restarted X -- no reboot needed.

However, one thing that I've not yet gotten to work properly is to be able
to simply plug/unplug the mouse and have everything work the way one would
think it should.  I still need to do some research into this...

                                Ed
--
Ed Bailey        Red Hat, Inc.          http://www.redhat.com/