IPtables has been working fine for me...the real consideration is what
kernel version are you running.  IPchains is really fully supported on
2.2.x systems, while IPTables requires 2.4.x kernels.  Additionally, the
2.4.x kernels support IPchains in a compatibility mode, while they support
IPTables via kernel configurations (if you're using a RedHat supplied
2.4.x kernel, the options have already been compiled in).