On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Ian Truelsen wrote:

> It looks like, in my case anyway, that the old UDMA33 drive in my server is
> the bottleneck. hdparm -t reports it as doing buffered reads at a little
> under 4 MB/s, which is about the speed I am getting, minus a bit for network
> overhead. I do intend to replace it, but I might just move the timescale up
> some now :)
>
> Thanks for the response. I didn't really know all that much about hdparm.
> I'm going to have to look into it a little more.

No problem. I have wondered about things like that myself. Questions
like how do I test the speed of a links so that I know is limit. What
components exists in either computer or within the network that might
also restrict data flow?

The whole area of networking is data flow. Like water running through a
pipe. Some are bigger than others. Some have more valves in the way. Its
an end to end path that needs to be taken into account.

Stephen