At 05:19 PM 1/6/02 -0500, you wrote:
><clip>
>
>Strange - I found a couple other man pages that do that, but not all
>of them. Guess I'll check the man page RPM and maybe force its
>reinstall and see if it still happens and then post to the enigma list
>if it still does.

I've not experienced it at all, so it probably is your install. Good luck.

> > >-----------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > >    Forwarding
> > >
> > >The forwarding facility can be used to create a large site-wide cache
> > >on a few servers, reducing traffic over links to external nameservers.
> > >It can also be used to allow queries by servers that do not have
> > >direct access to the Internet, but wish to look up exterior names
> > >anyway.  Forwarding occurs only on those queries for which the server
> > >is not authoritative and does not have the answer in its cache.
> > >
> > >-----------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > >Again this (specifically the last line) seems to indicate this is what
> > >to do. If the answer can be found in my machine's DNS cache, it is
> > >used, otherwise it uses my ISPs nameservers to do all the work (and
> > >then presumably caches the result).
> >
> > Any DNS server does that. That's what DNS serving is :-)  Even a DNS
> server
> > that talks to a forwarder does caching. The only difference is that if
> (and
> > only if, by the way, unless you have the entry "forward only") the local
> > DNS server is successful in getting an IP resolved by the upstream
> > (forwarding) DNS server, then it doesn't have to do the Sherlock Holmes
> > work itself. Which is to say that if the upstream server doesn't get the
> > job done "in time", then the local DNS server will go out and do the work
> > itself, forwarding statement or no.
> >
> > It's perfectly OK to use your ISP's server as a forwarding server, I'm not
> > saying it's not. If you have a busy or a slow machine it's not a bad idea.
> > All I am saying is that doing so in a single-DNS server network is not
> what
> > the forwarding feature was intended for. That is no reason not to use it
> > though !
> >
> > Julian.
>

>I agree with what you're saying. I guess I meant "best/correct" in the
>sense that if it's found in the cache it's used (earlier I thought you
>were saying the forwarding bypassed the local cache) and if not it has
>my ISPs DNS servers do all the work (which is what I want).
Right. After all, if you didn't have a local DNS server, your ISP's server
would do it anyway, right? So by caching with your DNS server, you're
actually potentially reducing the load on him. What a nice guy ;-)

j.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after me ...

Julian Opificius. ICQ 3268206.