To begin with doing a database migration from one platform to another is NOT
a simple task. (unless it is a very simple database)

Postgresql is a very good database. Red Hat uses this for their Red Hat
Database product.
Mysql is also very good.
They are targeted at different audiences tho.

You would need to have some analysis done of the existing database to see
how/where you would want to go.

Stored procedures would need to be evaluated to see if they are needed in
the new architecture.

All Queries would have to be evaluated to see if they are doing something MS
specific.

This is a rule regardless if you are going open source or not. Sorry.

I did a migration of a database from MSSQL to Oracle, and that took a lot of
tweaking to get the schema working such that Oracle could work with it. I
had to redo all stored procedures because of the differences in ideology
between oracle and sql server.

Also datatypes and programming practices need to looked at as well.
What is the client base?
Is this a bunch of VB programs using DAO/ADO/ODBC/whatever they are calling
it now?

What I would suggest is to get someone in that knows sqlserver,postgres, and
mysql and have them do create a migration plan. In the commercial world,
Anderson consulting(I forget their current name) does this a lot. This may
be something to get Red Hat involved on if you need vendor support with name
recognition.

You want a successful migration, and a botched migration makes linux, redhat
and the community look bad.

Hope this helps.

Doug