Ken,

On Tuesday 08 January 2002 07:12, you babbled something about:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a mailing list for the very extremely inexperienced Linux users.

This would seem as good a place as any. Though there is also the
redhat-install-list. You can find all the related Red Hat lists at
https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/

> I have recently installed my first copy of Red Hat 7.0 and not everything
> is perfect. For instance I cannot seem to get it to find my (internal)
> modem. So I have to do any WWW investigations using this (Win98) machine.
> (I am using one machine as exclusively Linux and one as Win98.)

Well, we might need a little more info to help you out there. There is a
strong possibility that you have what is commonly called a "winmodem". They
can be a substantial hurdle to overcome.

You may want to point out what kind of modem you have or go try to determine
if it is one by going to http://www.linmodems.org/ They have a great deal of
info about them and how to determine if you have one and if you stand a
chance at getting it to work.

If you find you do have one, you may want to consider an external as they are
usually "hardware" modems, not dependant on proprietary M$ extensions.

> The mailing list doesn't seem to be the place to address this sort of
> "simple" question! Where is the right place, please?

After watching, 30-40 messages about Ford Mustangs a few months back, you
couldn't possibly be too far off topic with an actual computer question. ;)

--
Brian Ashe                                                     CTO
Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]