Our department offers a "Fundamentals of Linux" course.  In the future,
we plan to add additional courses as the demand builds.  This requires
us to be very selective of the PC systems we chose for the Linux
computer labs.   At our community college, we have an ITS department
that has strong input into the PC's choosen for the college.  This is
where my questions and concerns arise.

This year our department is having the eight computers in a lab
upgraded.  The ITS department has choosen the HP Vectra VL 420 P4 as the
standard.  Research at the HP website has indicated that HP doesn't
support the use of LInux on this platform.  We've conducted RH7.1 and RH
7.2 installs with reasonable success.   Also, RedHat states they have
conducted compatability certification on the ASUS P4B-MX motherboard
contained in the HP Vectra is system.  It did pass everything except the
sound and advanced LAN tests.  Unfortunately, the HP Vectra VL420 P4
doesn't use the native BIOS which is an Award BIOS.  The HP uses an
AMI BIOS.   For those not very familiar with this motherboard it has an
onboard sound card and NIC.  Personally, I don't like this but can
anyone give us some warnings and/or suggestions with this system.

We meet with the ITS rep and an HP salesperson in a week, so we want to
be armed with the facts.  If we can show these systems to be
incompatable with Linux in general, we'll be permitted to purchase some
slightly more expensive systems from Dell which are documented to
support Linux.

Thanks for you help in advance,
  Art