At the Linux console, you can do the same thing mentioned on that
site, except that you don't need the leading zeros.  For example,
ALT+49 results in a '1' being printed.

Under X, you might find http://www.leune.org/various/compose/ helpful.
I found out that I didn't need to do anything but

xmodmap -e 'keycode 78=Multi_key'

Even though the ScrollLock line didn't appear in my XF86Config-4 file,
it is apparently set by default.  If that works for you, you can add
it to your .xinitrc file (or .xsession if that's the one you use).

You might also want to take a look at
http://www.uni-ulm.de/~s_smasch/X11/input8bit.html
which appears to cover the topic pretty thoroughly.

HTH,
Ben

--
Ben Logan: ben at wblogan dot net