Hi,

I don't have any experience with the G400.  But I thought Matrox cards
worked really well with Linux.  We have several machines here with
Millennium IIs and G200s, and they work great.  In fact, I remember a
few years ago when the G400 came out, I read an article on the Internet
about how good Quake on Linux looked with the G400.  Have you tried a
different monitor?  That's the only thing I can think of at this point.
I'm all tapped out of ideas.  Good luck,

Hidong