    jd> Thanks a bunch guys... I did as suggested and I now get some response from the
    jd> tape.  Is mt recommended for backup operations (it does seems a little cryptic
    jd> at first)?

No, mt is just a tool to verify and test the drive normally.

To backup, there are many scripts that are floating around to do
backups that use, tar, cpio, dump etc.
Then there are some apps. that are free to use, Amanda, etc. or
$ apps such as Bru, Arkeia etc, etc.

You might want to to a search on:
http://www.google.com/search
http://freshmeat.net

For some apps,

BTW, I don't recommend Amanda for a newbie, but is a very good app
once you have some time under your belt.

--
Ray Curtis         Unix Programmer/Consultant   Curtis Consulting
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                             http://www.ccux.com