I'm still struggling with this. I used the same ntp.conf as my time server,
which successfully has its time synchronized on the net. All I did was
change the ntp.conf to have the client look locally for the time. The
ntp.conf is at the bottom. I'm looking at the docs, but so far I'm not
seeing the problem.

My time server has system peer mode as "client". Should it be something
else? If so, how is that changed?

When I restart ntdp on the client it looks like it synchronizes the time,
but checkout the client ntpdc -c sysinfo command below. Any help is
appreciated.

James

Here is my time server:
system peer:          ntp-s1.cise.ufl.edu
system peer mode:     client
leap indicator:       00
stratum:              2
precision:            -16
root distance:        0.07651 s
root dispersion:      0.04333 s
reference ID:         [128.227.205.3]
reference time:       bff6a67d.9c5d206c  Mon, Jan 21 2002  9:38:53.610
system flags:         monitor ntp kernel stats kernel_sync
jitter:               0.013123 s
stability:            0.030 ppm
broadcastdelay:       0.007996 s
authdelay:            0.000000 s

Here's the client I'm trying to setup:
system peer:          0.0.0.0
system peer mode:     unspec
leap indicator:       11
stratum:              16
precision:            -14
root distance:        0.00000 s
root dispersion:      0.01646 s
reference ID:         [0.0.0.0]
reference time:       00000000.00000000  Thu, Feb  7 2036  1:28:16.000
system flags:         bclient monitor ntp kernel stats kernel_sync
jitter:               0.000000 s
stability:            0.000 ppm
broadcastdelay:       0.007996 s
authdelay:            0.000000 s

ntp.conf on the client:
# The first lines define a series of servers to contact. For good results you
# should have at least 5 distinct servers, preferably on different networks.
# You should get the addresses from your ISP (ask them if they have a
stratum 2
# or 3 NTP server) or from a list of public _stratum_2_ servers. Do not use
# stratum 1 servers unless one of the following is true:
# - You own the stratum 1 server.
# - Your ISP owns the server and you were told you could use it.
# - You have written permission from the server's owner to use it.
#
# Generally public stratum 1 servers are either useless (less accurate than
# the stratum 2 servers based on atmoic clocks) or are only intended for use
# by people running stratum 2 servers (with "at least thousands" of machines
# depending on them directly or indirectly).
#
# One good list of public stratum 2 servers is available from
# http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.htm
# Try to pick ones that aren't too many hops away, but don't all use the same
# route.
# When a server is broken (i.e. it won't talk to us) messages should pop
# up in the messages log.

#Description of server 1
server 192.168.1.2
restrict 192.168.1.2

# Replace this with the network address and subnet mask of the network
# you want this machine to act as an NTP server for. You may insert
# multiple lines like this.
restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0

# Make sure that you can access the NTP server as localhost
restrict 127.0.0.1 mask 255.0.0.0

# Any machine who is not either one of our servers or on our own network
# (i.e. covered by the restrict lines above) is not allowed to talk to our
# server.
restrict default ignore

driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
broadcastdelay  0.008

# I've never used NTP authentication, feel free to play with it but I suggest
# after you've got your server working. The time is not really what I'd call
# "sensitive" information.
authenticate no
broadcastclient
multicastclient