On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Jim VanEtten wrote:

> A few days ago my Redhat 6.0 server stopped letting me connect via SSH. I tried
>connecting via telnet but that too did not let me in. I rebooted but still no
>connection. The Banner comes up but there is no login prompt. I checked my
>hosts.allow and hosts.deny files and they are all in order. I can FTP to the server
>and do everything else as before just no shell access.
>
> I got a strace (attached to email) from one of my attempts to login but have no idea
>how to read it. Would someone take a quick look at this strace and give me an idea of
>what the problem could be. Like I said everything is working but I cannot get remote
>shell access.
>
> Thanks
> Jim VE

Can you think of any reason as to why nscd is returning the following error?

connect(6, {sun_family=AF_UNIX, sun_path="/var/run/.nscd_socket"}, 110) = -1
ECONNREFUSED (Connection refused)

Also, are you in a NIS environment by any chance?  I can see several system
calls that involve a NIS configuration.  Are you running 'nscd'?  Check it
out with 'ps auxw | grep nscd' for instance.

--
Nitebirdz

Mozilla--> http://www.mozilla.org
Linux XFS--> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs