At 07:10 PM 1/23/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>In bash:
>
>shopt -s cdspell
>
>But I can't step away from this without being just a bit pedantic ...
>I strongly advise against using that option as root, where a typo can
>mean disaster, and you don't want the system making assumptions for
>you.  Great for normal users, though, especially non-geeks who use
>Unix only occasionally and are accustomed to a more
>recognition-oriented interface.  Or for a geek like me, who
>consistently transposes the last two letters in /usr/locla.
>
>;-)

Hey, in addition to this.. in Darwin (i.e. Mac OS X) which uses tcsh as the default,
it will ask you for confirmation rather then just taking off without you. for example:

[localhost:~] root# em tmpfile

OK? rm tmpfile?

here I hit n for "no" which causes the following reaction:

[localhost:~] root# em tmpfile

OK? rm tmpfile? no
em: Command not found.
[localhost:~] root#

and so it didn't just take off and rm the file. On that other hand:

[localhost:~] root# eamcs tempfile

OK? emacs tempfile?

Here I hit y for yes and it open emacs:

[localhost:~] root# eamcs tempfile

OK? emacs tempfile? yes
[localhost:~] root#

Is there a way to have bash do that? Just got curious when I saw this post :-)

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Cedar Creek Software     http://www.cedarcreeksoftware.com
Central Texas IT     http://www.centraltexasit.com