Yes, you can run an fsck on the box by typing "shutdown -F -r now" and
you can do it while logged on using ssh or telnet. This forces an fsck
after a reboot However, if fsck finds a problem it will prompt you to
type the root passwd and run fsck manually. If that happens someone has
to be at the console to run it manually use "e2fsck -y /dev/hdax" x= the
name of the partition with problems, use (sdax for scsi drives, you
might get a message stating that the partiition is mounted you have to
unmount it before running the fsck & you could use fdisk -l the get a
list of the parttions.

You will not have to run it manually unless there is major corruption on
the drive. I use it all the time and I've never had to run it manually.
Good luck!

--RICO