Title: RE: remote query of the MAC Address?

tis true, as if it has to go through the gateway, i.e. not on your local network, it does not even send out an ARP request, just forwards the packet to the gateway....

So, ping the machine and capture the packets with a sniffer.  That will give you the MAC address.
-Brad