Dave Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > From: Dan Stromberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > For Pete's sake, why 2.4.9?  Please don't tell me Redhat is trying to
> > avoid the new VM?  I'm more than a little tired of the old VM swapping
> > me into a oblivion.  I've put off buying a new harddisk to get more
> > swapspace, because I figured the new VM would be in a kernel patch next
> > time there was a (kernel) security problem.  Alas, it doesn't appear to
> > have worked out that way.
>
> Red Hat's policy is to only make bug fixes to a current
> release.

We've updated kernels before - e.g. RHL 7.1 shipped with 2.4.3-12 (very
far from vanilla, vanilla 2.4.3 had disk corruption), 7.2 shipped with
2.4.7-<?>. They're both at 2.4.9. The kernel group just felt that the
released kernel was the best in terms of stability.>

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.