> > to release 3.1 on a Red Hat 7.1 system.
>
> (btw there is no GCC 3.1 - the latest release is 3.0.3)

Actually, RedHat has modified the gcc 3.03 released to suit their own
needs, and has dubbed it 3.1.  It's not a GNU release.  Just like 2.96
is a Redhat gcc release whereas 2.95 is the GNU release.

My Opinion, go to gcc-2.95.  I upgraded to 3.1, and had troubles
compiling programs.  I was going to drop down to gcc-3.03, but I was
reading lists where they were complaining about other various compiling
bugs as well.  So I dropped down the 2.95.  No more compiling problems
:)

They do come in rpm format, however, it isn't RedHat rpms.  They are PLD
rpms. (Polished Linux Distro).  I manually removed ALL gcc and stdlib
rpms, and replaced them with the gcc-2.95 from that distro, and
everything worked great.

I think redhat only needed some libgcc-3.1 rpm to function som programs
that needed special libraries.  The only bad thing about mixing distro
RPM's is satisfying the dependencies.

--

-Rob