Hello,
        I did a fresh install of RH 7.2 recently. I decided to make the OS
partitions ext3 (Note mount command below). I had some disks / partitions
from the previous install that I left ext2. I want to migrate some data from
the ext2 partitions to the ext3 partitions using dump / restore. Whenever I
try and dump from the ext2 partitions, and am getting the strange error:
[root@naked archive]# pwd
/fs2/archive
[root@naked archive]# ls
fs1  fs3  naked_root.tar  oldfiles
[root@naked archive]# dump -0f - oldfiles | (cd /fs1/archive/oldfiles ;
restore xf - )
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Tue Jan 29 12:17:40 2002
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/sda1 (/ (dir fs2/archive/oldfiles)) to standard output
  DUMP: Exclude ext3 journal inode 8
  DUMP: Label: /
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
/dev/sda1: File not found by ext2_lookup while translating fs2/archive
restore: Tape read error on first record

-It appears as if dump is trying to dump /dev/sda1 which is my ext3 /
filesystem, even though the dir is fs2/archive/oldfiles which is ext2.

-I am not sure if by default the kernel is compiled with ext2 and ext3
support. However, I can mount / unmount, create files in a partition that is
ext2. ext3 is compiled as a module, but ext2 is not, (thus I cannot load it
with modprobe / insmod).

[root@naked archive]# mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/sda6 on /fs1 type ext2 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sda3 on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda5 on /var type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /fs2 type ext2 (rw)
[root@naked archive]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
binfmt_misc             6640   1
autofs                 12096   0  (autoclean) (unused)
eepro100               18144   1
ipchains               41600   0
st                     26976   0  (unused)
ext3                   67728   3
jbd                    44480   3  [ext3]
aic7xxx               114704   6
sd_mod                 11584   6
scsi_mod               98512   3  [st aic7xxx sd_mod]

-Is this a problem with dump, or the fact that ext2 support is not in my
kenel? From the doc I read, it seems that ext2 support is built into the
kernel. Am I incorrect?
-Can anyone suggest resolutions to this problem, thanks...
-RYAN

Ryan Hamilton Madison
Chief Consultant
escf.com