On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:23:23PM -0800, Vikram Patel wrote:
> I have RH6.0 running. With DHCP enabled. Everything
> works fine when going out of the box. But if i try to
> run telnet or ftp from other machines it denies the
> connection. I get "connection closed by remote host"
> I have my /etc/services file configured properly,
> /etc/inetd.conf also has inetd. enabled.
> Can somebody tell me what configuration needs to be
> made to allow telnet/ftp to work.

Have a look at /var/log/secure.  Have a good look at /etc/hosts.allow and
/etc/hosts.deny.

If you modified inetd.conf to allow the telnet and ftp connections, did you
restart or reload inetd?

Do the services pointed to by inetd.conf actually exist?  You may not have a
telnet or ftp server even installed.  Can you telnet or ftp to localhost
(ie, can you connect to yourself)?

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]