On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 17:42, Fernando Lozano wrote:

> How to make the database permform SORT and LIKE canse-insensitive,
> without having to use non-standard or not-guaranteed SQL constructs?

I don't know if you can, but this mail list post:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/1998-09/msg00069.php
suggests the following examples:

The first is probably the most portable.  It selects rows where the
uppercase value of the NAME column is 'INDIA'.  It should work on any
SQL server that provides an "upper" function.

The second example matches a case-insensitive regex.  I've never seen
this syntax before, and assume that it's PostgreSQL-specific.  :)