I'm not sure about this, but I think you can change it in
/etc/profile.  (Assuming your login shells are bash.)  You could add
(if it doesn't already exist) a line near the top like

ulimit -H -u 30

to limit the number of processes to 30.  Type "help ulimit" at the
bash prompt to see the various options.

I think there is a way to accomplish this at the kernel level, but I
don't know how.

Regards,
Ben

--
Ben Logan: ben at wblogan dot net
OpenPGP Key KeyID: A1ADD1F0

He who laughs last -- missed the punch line.