On 10:38 02 Feb 2002, Bret Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| On Sat, 2002-02-02 at 04:50, James Pifer wrote:
| > Anyone have experience with installing Redhat 7.2 on Compaq Proliants? I
| > installed 7.2 on a 1600 and used Grub. Now I can't get into the Compaq
| > Smartstart partition. For those of you that don't know, on a Proliant
| > system you can hit F10 at a certain point to get into the system
| > configuration which is stored on it's own partition on the drive.
| >
| > When I hit F10 it immediately brings up the Grub menu. Any ideas on why I
| > can't get into the system configuration and how I can fix it so I can?

You can't get in because F10 was implemented in the original boot block for
the drive. Your grub install overwrote this.

Not to worry, I made the same mistake on a Deskpro (which I'm now prepared to
consider a feature).

The Smartstart stuff is merely a bootable DOS partition. Use fdisk to
figure out which partition it's on (it's a 10meg DOS partition, near
the end of the disc as I recall) and add a clause to grub.conf for this.

It happens that that machine is right beside me - I'll just boot it up...

Ok, my /boot/grub/grub.conf clause looks like this:

        title COMPAQ
                rootnoverify (hd0,2)
                chainloader +1

Puts a "COMPAQ" entry in the grub menu. Works just fine. "fdisk /dev/hda"
says that the Compaq partition is /dev/hda3, which is why it's "(hd0,2)"
in the grub config - hda1 is hd(0,0) and so forth. Which partition it is
for you will probably be different, depending how you set up the machine.

Bret Hughes says:
| Your best bet is to put the bootloader on the first partition.  THat
| way, the f10 deal will work as expected and lilo at least is very happy
| on the two proliant 3000s we have.  Compaq has a fair amount of info on
| their site at
|  http://www.compaq.com/linux
|
| more specifically:
|
| http://www.compaq.com/products/servers/linux/compaq-howto.html

I second this, too: the doco on the Compaq site is extensive and useful (in
stark contrast to some other manufacturers).

But you don't _have_ to use their boot block - grub is enough (and I prefer
it with grub, now that I'm doing it that way).

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible.
      --Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.