I missed the beginning of this thread, so correcty if I am wrong: you are trying to
change the "display manager to KDM instead of the default GDM or something similar.

You can actually do this throught the prefdm file in /etc/X11/ folder, or in the
inittab file.

The last few lines of /etc/inittab say:

Edit the last few lines of the inittab file to say:

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
# xdm is now a separate service
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

You can change the last line to say:

x:5:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/gdm -nodaemon

or you can insert xdm in there

To start a different WM manager, you can edit the .Xclient file in your profile.
Also, see the /etc/X11 folder for more information.

Hope this helps.

George