I once had an epson 900 hooked directly to my linux box.  With that
setup, my printer knew all about postscript files and handled them as
if it were a big time postscript printer, thanks to the Redhat print
filters that take care of that.  And as I recall I just used a fairly
stock printcap.

Its been quite a while since then, and the printer has been attached
to a win2k for some time now.  My printing needs are quite low, but
here lately I've found myself printing quite a lot of stuff.

I have a standard sort of smbclient filter in place and printing works
fine long as I stay clear of *.ps files.  But that means the printed
stuff is pretty ugly... not too big a problem, since the only consumer
of the printed stuff is me, but I wanted some nicer looking stuff.  I
never really knew how to manipulate margins, etc, unless in enscript
.. not with the RH printtool.  And I only know how to make nice
headers or other niceties using enscript.  Like doing odd, even using
both sides and etc.

Now I can't throw these *.ps files at the smbclient filter.  All I get
on the other end is lots of ruined paper.  Ps-printing direct from
emacs failes horribly, as well ... its the *.ps that is reeking havoc.

Somehow it seems the filtering that used to take place, does not
happen when using the smbclient.

/etc/printcap looks like:
epson|EP:\
        :sh:\
        :ml=0:\
        :mx=0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/epson:\
        :lp=|/usr/share/printconf/smbprint:\
        :lpd_bounce=true:\
        :if=/usr/share/printconf/mf_wrapper:

Is there something I can do on the linux end to get those *.ps files
to print.  Fool my printer back into thinking its a big time unix
ps-printer.

Currently, to get a nice print job, I have to go to the w2k (or by vnc)
and use MS-word (Its my wifes machine...) And its only a matter of
time before I break out my vintage 45 and shoot that little B______
paper clip!  Not to mention all the clumsy crud I have to stumble
around with.... For such a big powerfull word processor, it seems
incredibly awkward to use, and horribly inefficient.  Especially with
that little creep leering from the sidelines.