hello !
First, fdisk DO NOT format anything !!! just it build the partition's table
(make bootable or not a partition, change the type, create delete even
modify a partition, etc). So, you have to use other utilities like "some
mkfs"

Nonetheless I think you have some unclear conceps, let me review it

To do it: find out where the disk is ? I mean, where is plugged the device?
TO be sure you need open the machine and see inside, THEN
There's  a rule for naming disk in linux: (I assume this is IDE NOT scsi,
but it seem equal , just change below  all terms "hd" for "sd" )

(for PRIMARY IDE          master   -- >  it appear as device    /dev/hda)
(for PRIMARY IDE          slave     -- >  it appear as device    /dev/hdb)
(for SECUNDARY IDE    master   -- >  it appear as device    /dev/hdc)
(for SECUNDARY IDE    slave     -- >  it appear as  device    /dev/hdd)

For instance, if you have a hard disk attached in the first connector and
it's setting as master, so it will be see by the system like /dev/hda
Finally, a number appended to  the name of a device, it will  refer to a
specific partition number ito the device, Example: /dev/hda1 is the first
partition into the device hda.

Then,
First, find out where is the disk is attached ? (I suggest open the
machine )
Second, partiton it with "fdisk /dev/hdX"  (becarefull ensure you are
"fdisking" the correct drive)
Thirt, do a logic format  to the device. just use mkfs /dev/hdX (you must
set filesuystem's type)
Fourth, test the partition with "fsck /dev/hdX"
I strongly recommend read pages of manual:
fdisk, mkfs.*, fsck.* and relatives HOWTO

About KDE, a prefer dont use this tools, but if you insist I have been check
webmin and it work with disk's partition  very good !!
gnome also contain other utilities linuxconf , etc. I recommend you do it
with standard command and ALWAYS standing from console !

I hope it help.

Excuse me my bad Cuban-english.

Lic. Enrique Bory Simon