Basically, we finally have a redundant piece of hardware similar to our
current server.

I'd been waiting for an opportunity like this to upgrade to 7.2.

Server1 - old server RH 6.2 all updates.
Server2 - new server - to become 7.2 all updates.

So:

I Drive imaged server1 on to server2.
Turned off all startup-stuff services on server2, and changed hostname and
IP-Address.
Upgraded to 7.2 via CD.
Got ppp going manually to up2date all packages except kernel.
Ran up2date again without kernel exclusion to see if it would upgrade
kernel.

P.S. My Red Hat off to Red Hat programmers here. It worked!!!! Gave me
another kernel boot-up option in GRUB and booted the new kernel fine.
BRILLIANT!

Turned on only a few services to start-including the AUTOMATIC pppd service,
which, on server1 was set up to dial-on-demand and worked perfectly.

On this server it 'hangs' though. It loads lo and eth0 but hangs on starting
ppp0. The hard drive keeps spinning after and I suspect it IS continuing to
a point, but the screen stops, I can't even switch consoles. The ONLY thing
I can do is Ctrl-Alt-Delete and let it re-boot, the hit 'i' and stop the
network services.

If I then type 'ifup ppp0' ppp starts normally.

As an experiment, I turned the ONBOOT option off on the ppp0 device and
re-booted again.

It fired up successfully, leaving me to believe it IS something to do with
PPP start-up.

Again, manual start works.

Then I simply put the 'ifup ppp0' into rc.local and re-booted again.

Again it is fine.

So, basically, yes I do have a working 7.2 server with automatic ppp dial-up
starting. However I can't stand going through all the ppp scripts and stuff,
finding them exactly the same as the 6.2 server ones, and it working on the
old server but not on the new.

Has anything changed in the ppp startup between 6.2 and 7.2? I'd like to get
this working the 'RedHat' way if possible. Any ideas as to why it locks like
that?

---
Edward Dekkers (Director)
Triple D Computer Services Pty. Ltd.