Thanks Dave...

I don't want to belabour the point.. yet the named buffers allow me to delete the word
I want to replace without losing the original yanked word.

My problem was that the original yanked entry would be overwritten in memory by the
following deletion (yw dw pw -> leaves me with the dw in memory).  Remember, I want to
replace the word at the cursor with the in-memory one.

I had hoped there would be a key-sequence to paste and overwrite a word in one go,
nevertheless the named buffer does what I require - it's just, as you infer, a little
involved.

regards
/j-p.

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Dave Ihnat wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 11:41:45AM -0100, john-paul delaney wrote:
> > Having previously yanked a word, I now want to replace the word at
> > the cursor with the one in memory.  What's the best way to do this
> > substitution?
>
> Others have mentioned named buffers, but generally for this kind of work
> you don't need it.  Just 'yw' to yank the word into the unnamed buffer,
> and 'pw' to stuff it back.
>
> Cheers,

 JUSTATEST Art Online
  www.justatest.com