Steve,

On Saturday 09 February 2002 12:06, you said something about:
> But now that I think about it (see source code below) it seems that
> mxt_scan_bios is probably not the culprit at all.
>
> I think the routine just returns that error code and the caller records
> that there is no mxt memory and goes on with its next task.  Which is,
> from the looks of my listings when I successfully boot from the floppy,
> the Swap file.  That might bear some relation to my earlier thoughts on
> the matter - namely disk partitioning anomalies.  If this is correct,
> then the actual crap-out point is either in the routine that calls
> mxt_scan_bios, or in the swap routine, before it has a chance to print
> out its message.
>
> Anyone following me, here?

Well, I don't want you to start getting lonely... ;)

When you upgraded, did you choose ext3 for the partitions (the old ext2 ones)?

Have you checked /boot for corruption? <- Seems likely read on.

What does your partition layout look like?

I recently did a dual boot set-up with RH7.2 (using ext3) and Win98 that had
some unusual problems with disk corruption (this is why I bring this up). I
have been meaning to look into it more so I can get some reproducible details
and submit a bug on it (but alas, life interferes too much with my good
intentions).

Here is what I did and the results...

Created the following partition layout:
/boot ~30MB first partition
C:/  ~2GB second partition
Extended for the rest
D:/  ~1GB
/usr
/home
/var
/tmp
swap
(and a few others all logical)

Installed Win98
Installed RH7.2

All was fine at first (both booted and ran).

Then I put some thing on the D: drive and it all went screwy(I didn't
immediately see that this was the problem). It didn't immediately die or
anything, but it did run out of drive space on C: within a couple of minutes
(well that was the ever so intelligent message from Windows anyway). It
claimed I had used up 12GB on C: (it's only an 8GB drive).
I booted using my boot floppy to Linux (neither was booting after the write
to D:) and started to look into it. My /boot was toast. Everything was gone
except kernel.h and even that was unreadable.
So I restored /boot (reinstalled the kernel rpms) and decided to use LILO
instead of GRUB (not a big fan of GRUB and was suspicious of it).
This got me back to booting Linux but not Win98. So I reinstalled Win98 (no
format just overwrite) and then back to the boot floppy, rerun LILO and
everything seemed OK again (boot wise).
So back to Win98 again. As I started doing stuff I noticed the files I had
previously put on D: were gone. I decided to restore them and then the
connection started being made, as the previous problem started up again.
So this time as I went through the cycle described above I decided to
eliminate the D: drive (just removed the partition and left it as free space)
and it has been fine ever since.

Notes and observations:
This was the first time I used RH7.2 with ext3 on a dual boot with Win98 that
had more then a C: drive. I had upgraded a 7.1 to 7.2 but kept the ext2 on a
Win98 with C: and D: and had no problems, as well as several 7.2 with ext3
with Win98 with only a C: each running fine. I cannot say (as I haven't had
time to play) if there is a real connection here, but it is the direction I'm
leaning.
I have never had any problems with ext3, but several people have noted that
when using ext3 with a squid cache it would suffer disk corruption. Perhaps
there is some strange mojo in ext3 that is causing these unusual occurrences,
but I am far from a file system expert to be able to accurately say (at least
until I waste a day playing with this due to curiosity ;). Or perhaps GRUB
fudges the partition table beyond repair under these circumstances (I keep
trying it but have always reverted back to LILO for some reason or another).

Hopefully all of this will give you something to try or some ideas about what
is happening. Good luck.

<big snip>
--
Brian Ashe                                                     CTO
Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]