On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 09:22:17AM -0500, Mike Burger wrote:
: No...that's not necessarily what it means...what that means is that it
: will accept dhcp connections from all IP ranges, from any port on the
: remote machine.
:
: Put a dhcp client on the network connected to your external interface, and
: try to optain an address, and see what happens.

Regardless of whether or not I pass dhcpd the "eth1" parameter, it will
only serve addresses on the eth1 port, based on the ip/netmask on my
eth1 and the subnet{ } configuration I've got in the dhcpd.conf file.

The software does the "right thing", in that it won't hand out addresses
on the external interface (in my case, eth0), as verified by the messages
dhcpd produces at startup and a test I did (with my iptables rules
unloaded).  My concern had to do with the software binding to all
interfaces, despite the fact that it doesn't need to.

My iptables rules already don't permit DHCP requests from outside of my
network, so that's not the real concern.  Rather, my concern stems from
the software itself not behaving properly.  I'll bugzilla this one.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.