CM,

On Sunday 10 February 2002 11:09, you said something about:
> Running RH 7.1 w/2.4.2 kernel and installed G++ from
> the CDROM and installed ok and can get the MAN pages
> but when I go to compile a simple "Hello World"
> program and a simple Celsius Program, I always get
> this output error, "parse error before ';'"

This is telling you that the code has an error.

Likely just before a ";" ;)

> I consulted some of the G++ webpages and the MAN pages
> but I have no idea how to troubleshoot this, can
> anyone offer any advice?

To troubleshoot, you need to check your source code. The gcc supplied by RH
requires ANSI C++ compliance (at least more so then some other versions of
gcc), so you may find source that doesn't compile "out-of-the-box" if it was
not written to comply with the ANSI standard.

Also, if you are "cut-and-pasting" from tutorials on web pages, be aware that
there can sometimes be characters that will cause all kinds of problems when
doing so. It is not a guaruntee, but it can happen.

This compiles fine on my system using a simple "g++ hello.cpp -o hello" (sans
quotes).

#include <iostream.h>

int main ()
{
  cout << "Hello World";

  return 0;
}

--
Brian Ashe                                                     CTO
Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]