hi.

sorry if this is a repeat post.

i recently ran up2date and pretty much upgraded everything up2date
wanted; including the kernel, XFree86, etc.  seemed to work ok.  as usual,
i needed to modify the generated /etc/X11/XF86Config before i could get
graphics and my devices to work correctly.  but that was no big deal and
all was right with the world after, say, an hour.

i've since found via my screensaver that GL applications seem to foul up
the works after 1 run.

xscreensaver will display a GL app correctly the first time it is invoked.
after that, subsequent displays are blank.  i managed to coax the
following error message out of it:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Error:  xscreensaver window unexpectedly deleted.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i have eval OGL Performer installed.  perfly will run once correctly.
after that, hang, or worse, kill the X server.

note.  this error seems to have nothing to do with the kernel and graphics
drivers.  i tried running under a previous kernel and got the exact same
behavior.

i'm running RedHat 7.1, XFree86-4.1.0-15.

in my XFree86.0.log, i get one of these each time a GL app runs or tries
to run.  not sure if this is useful, bad, normal:
GetModeLine - scrn: 0 clock: 135000
GetModeLine - hdsp: 1280 hbeg: 1296 hend: 1440 httl: 1688
              vdsp: 1024 vbeg: 1025 vend: 1028 vttl: 1066 flags: 5

all advice appreciated.

thanks.

--fred