On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:30:35 -0500
"Ronald W. Heiby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tuesday, February 19, 2002, 10:04:32 PM, Monte wrote:
> > If I use the ip address of another machine on my LAN, I can ping
> > just fine.  But if I try pinging the same machine by name, I get
> > ~80% packet loss.  WTF?
>
> I was seeing similar things a few weeks ago. My issues were related to
> pinging machines by IP vs. by name, too. I did not try this with
> another machine on my LAN, but was seeing it with systems on the
> Internet.
>
> In my case, it turned out to be a DNS issue. When AT&T had their
> eXcite melt-down several weeks ago, they had a bad DNS server. So, I
> hard-coded my own set of DNS servers, bypassing the ones that AT&T's
> DHCP was handing me (that included the bad server). As it turned out,
> one of these got taken down shortly thereafter. Removing that DNS
> server from my list made everything return to normal.
>
> (You cannot imagine the frustration involved with trying to tell
> people who barely know how to boot Windows that one of their DNS
> servers is flakey, only to have them tell you that you need to try
> rebooting.)
>
> Ron.

Actually, I think it might have been due to a flaky DNS server setup in my
home LAN, but it picked an odd time to rear its head, since everything
seemed to be working fine before this.  Not a huge deal, really, since I
am moving pretty much everything back to RedHat.  The servers next ;).

Thanks,

Monte

--
All right, breaks over.  Back on your heads!!