thanks that solved the problem

permissions were:
    -rwx------    1 root     root        46224 Aug 28 13:16

but how did it happen i never entered the /lib dirctory as root

bye the way i am running squirrelmail as webmail and i have observed
that some of my squirrelmail users became owners of some randomly
choosen files in /bin and /usr/bin. i cannot doubt these users and
they do not have shell access.

---
 Rupendra Singh
 MCA, KIET gzb, India