--- Charles Galpin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-02-23 at 13:51, Monte Milanuk wrote:
>
> > Any other good, reliable, frequently updated archives around?
>
> http://www.prairienet.org/library/redhat should be updated nightly.

Any hints to as a place that mirrors the other lists, like
redhat-develop, redhat-install, etc?  I follow those from time to time,
but their archives are not being updated by Red Hat either.

> The index is sufficiently large to make updating on the fly too
> resource
> intensive. In fact Chuck had the moongroup archives update once a
> week
> because of this. By doing some tweaking and using twice the disk
> space
> needed by the archive I was able to get indexing down to just over an
> hour a day for updates, and *no* downtime. We could have broken the
> indexes down into smaller pieces but that prevents you from searching
> multiple list simultaneously (at least doing so easily).

This searchable archives thing seems to be an Achilles' Heel of a lot
of high-volume mailing lists.  SuSE maintains an online archive of
their lists, but it's not searchable.  Discussion about it brought out
that a large part of the problem is a) the 'resources' required, and b)
the cost for a suitable search engine.  Apparently the more powerful
ones like Glimpse and whatnot are not free for businesses and the like.
 Debian *does* have pretty good searchable archives, but they do
qualify for the free version!!

I'm not very experienced w/ this sort of thing; what exactly are people
referring to when they say the resources required are too great?  Too
much disk space, too much RAM, too much CPU speed, or too much machine
time?  Too much of all the above?

> I personally think they are a much better resource than Red Hat's
> archive, but I am biased.

It'd be hard not to be a better resource than the RH archive ;)  At
least yours works as advertised!!  Thanks!!

Monte

=====
"All right, breaks over.  Back on your heads! ;)"