arl D. Blake wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 20:42, Bret Hughes wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 21:16, Julian Opificius wrote:
>>
>>>Howdy y'all,
>>>
>>>So, dumb question of the evening:-
>>>how do I connect to files and directories on one linux box to another (on
>>>the same lan, where I have accounts on both).
>>>

>> I use nfs for this.  I have set it up several ways but the easiest I
>>have found is to get webmin and use it to export the directories on the
>>one that will serve the files and use it on the client machine to set up
>>the mounting of the nfs directory.
>>

> For those who use nfs: what's a fairly simple way to handle making
> usernames and groups consistent between computers when using nfs?  Does
> nfs provide a way to map one user to another when writing files to a
> remote computer?  Or do you have to ensure that the uid for every person
> using nfs is the same between all of the computers?

NIS+ (naming information service) is one way to do this. It enables you
to distribute to many machines things such as /etc/passwd and
/etc/shadow. NIS is great for large environments, but beware of security
issues. I highly recommend O'Reilly's Managing NFS and NIS. Another way
to do it is, as you mention, just assign each user the same UID, and
keep GID's consistent and you should be ok.