On Friday 22 February 2002 08:45 am, you wrote:
> why does this matter? 7.2 is just out, is (for me) super with the
> inclusion of ext3... what super crazy bleeding edge features are
> you guys looking for that necessitate the obsession with a beta or
> release date for the next version?

It's not so much that I'm after bleeding edge features.  I maintain
the kickstart trees for all the redhat versions, and I'm doing
testing and development on plenty of other assorted 'stuff'.  I could
get myself a head start on getting things like these to work with 8.0
if I even just had the beta, which, if nothing else, could give me an
early heads up to things like, say, the installkernel issue that came
up in 7.2, changes in the passwd/shadow/groups files, changes to
anaconda, etc.

I'm developing with Python, php, and bits and pieces of other stuff
as well.  Seeing the versions of packages in a full install of the
beta will allow me to prepare for the final version a little better.
I have enough on my plate without answering 25 emails a day asking
when 8.0 will be available, or when our dept. servers will move to
it, and why does it take so long, etc (they don't really get
kickstart - and ours is fairly complex).

So my need is really just to see what's coming up so I can plan and
begin my various processes - not so I can say 'I'm hardcore'.
Everyone already knows that :-P  j/k

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > How bout the beta release... any idea of name, location or
> > release.. hopefully it will not be another rosewell and will not
> > exist two weeks after everyone has been getting it...

Brian K. Jones
System Administrator
Dept. of Computer Science, Princeton University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice: (609) 258-6080