Take a look at gShield, an iptables script that is well documented with just
about evey option you could want.

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony E. Greene [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 12:30 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: WWW Visitor Blocking

At 08:47 2/26/2002 -0800, Redhat wrote:
>How do you access ipchains/iptables from the command line?

I have not yet worked with iptables, but it can probably be invoked
directly from the command line just like ipchains:

   ipchains --append input --protocol tcp 80 --syn --source xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
--jump REJECT

I generally build a shell script with all the necessary commands and call
it from within rc.local. That lets me do things like parse resolv.conf for
nameserver IP addresses and assign the network/netmask of my subnet as a
string variable at the top of the script:

lan='192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0'

That way whenever I need to refer to my local subnet in a firewall rule, I
just use the variable $lan. There's at least one HOWTO out there that
describes setting up ipchains.

Tony
--
Anthony E. Greene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>