From: Thierry ITTY [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 10:12 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ifconfig problem and rh 72

hello list

i have a machine, with a basicly out-of-the-box rh72 system, running some
server stuff like samba or squid

for some reason, i sometimes have to change its ip address. usually, with
former releases or versions of rh, i just modify
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 changing ip address, network,
broadcast and mask to fit my needs, then a /etc/rc.d/init.d/network
restart, et voila...

with rh 72 (even tried with last kernel package) this doesn't work. what
happens is that the NIC keeps the same old address. but if i reboot instead
of just restarting the network, then the new address is taken. thought of a
problem of some active connections or servers but it's not that.

i investigated further and found that the new address i want to set up gets
still valid even if it doesn't appear with ifconfig. let's explain that :

i boot the server :
ifconfig eth0 shows address 192.168.1.1
netstat -nr shows 192.168.1.0 through eth0
network services run fine

then i do :
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 172.16.1.1 up
ifconfig eth0 still shows address 192.168.1.1
netstat -nr still shows 192.168.1.0 through eth0
but also show 172.16.0.0 through eth0

what's strange now is that i can ping both 192.168.1.1 (which is the old
address i wanted to remove but still appears) and 172.16.1.1 (which is the
new address i want but doesn't appear)

arp -a shows nothing (meaning that both addresses are local)

i reboot the server
i do a route del -net 192.168.1.0/24
then ifconfig eth0 down
then ifconfig eth0 172.16.1.1 up
now everything is right, ifconfig shows the right ip address and netstat
-nr the right route

i think this looks like a bug ?

btw i have the problem with several machines and yes, i checked for
duplicates and all, and yes it's easily reproductible

tia,

Bien sûr que je suis perfectionniste !
Mais ne pourrais-je pas l'être mieux ?
        Thierry ITTY
eMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]               FRANCE