[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> <"
> If you want a fun challenge after this, figure out
> :-) ---->how to display
> :-) ---->>random fortune quotes in a box on the login screen. :-)
> it will br great to do so ...plz  tell me how ....
> ">
>
> fortune > /etc/redhat-release
> or use sed to replace the line every now and then, run from a cron tab or
> watch statement run in the background ...

That is so much easier than what I was thinking it's almost a cheat.  When I
was running set of labs where I had about a hundred X windows terminals we
rewrote the XDM setup files to show clock faces.  One of the fun bits was
figuring out how to make the Xterminal run the clock program locally so there
was no network traffic in updating the hands...

Alan