just "grub-install /dev/hda" won't be enough.  In order to "boot" from a
device, the BIOS has to know enough to load your OS's boot loader.
Then, your boot loader has to have the smarts to load the kernel.
Normally (as in, with lilo or grub) your boot loader isn't going to be
able to access devices that the BIOS itself can not.  So, if your BIOS
doesn't support booting from the media you want your root FS on, then
your boot loader, kernel, and initrd must all exist on a media that the
BIOS can access.

A couple of years ago, when we were loading a linux installation from a
parallel port ZIP disk, we had the kernel and boot loader on a floppy
disk, for instance.  Another option is to keep loadlin, your kernel, and
your initrd on a DOS partition (if you use that OS).  loadlin can boot
Linux if its run in DOS mode.  This option is becoming less frequently
feasible, as there is no "DOS mode" under Win2k or XP.