On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 01:27:21PM +0530, Ashwin Khandare wrote:
>                         a)There has been change in directory structure to some extent
>                         b)Path of various configuration files have been changed
>                         c)New libraries have been introduced

That's an unfortunate side-effect of major releases and an every-changing
platform base.  You'll also see similar problems transitioning from one
distribution to another.

To make matters worse, if you install a Red Hat package and then decide you
want to install the original developer's version instead, you may find that
files have moved around since Red Hat wants to follow their own standards.

You'll run into the same problems porting your application from one commercial
Unix to another.

The Linux Standard Base is addressing this issue, and Red Hat is a member.
See http://www.linuxbase.org for some more info.

>         My question is whether there are any fix update pattern when transitioning
>from one version to another?
>         How do we transition from 6.2 to 7.2 with  software working on same w/o any
>problem?Are their any patches that we need         to install to get it to work?

For starters, you've skipped 7.0 and 7.1 so you'll probably want to read the
release notes for each of those releases as well as the 7.2 release notes.  I
don't know how well each of the directory path changes are documented though.

There are some compability libraries that you can install for some components
but since I'm not a developer, I don't have much for details on these.

>         Also in case even soemhow if we get it to work on 7.2 , will it still work
>on 8.0 when it will be released.?

Since 8.0 is not even beta yet, you probably won't get an official statement.
However, since most of the Linux distributors are slowly migrating to the
Linux Standard Base, and Red Hat is currently not compliant, I would expect
more stuff to move around again.

>         This issue is bothering us badly and we need a solution for the same
>immediately.

Asking for immediate support in a public forum not supported by the vendor is
probably not going to keep you satisfied. If you pay for support, you get
better answers than what I can give you for free on my own time (and no, I have no
affiliation with Red Hat other than as a customer and a member of their
Community Ambassador Program).

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]