On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 06:23:15PM -0600, Xanh wrote:
> Hello,
> How do I export a change to an environment variable made in a C program?
> I tried setenv() and putenv(), but the change is not visible to the shell.
>
> ////////// testenv.c
> int main(int argc, char* argv[], char* envp[])
> {
>         char* p;
>         p = getenv("MyTest");
>         printf("current value: %s\n", p);
>
>         setenv("MyTest", "New value here", 1);
>         p = getenv("MyTest");
>         print("new value: %s\n", p);
>
>         return 0;
> }
> /////////

This changes the environment variable just fine. If you subsequently (in
the same program) did something like this (untested):

        system ("echo $MyTest");

you'd see it is set just fine.

The reason you don't see it being set when you run your program from
a shell is because environment variables are an attribute of the shell/
program and are visible only to THAT program or its children. You cannot
set the environment of any level of parent program.

> I compiled the code and test in a bash shell:
>
> $>export MyTest="Current Value"
> $>./testenv
>     current value: Current Value
>     new value: New value here
> $>echo $MyTest
>     Current Value
>
> The old value is retained.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Regards,
> Nemo Mai

---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----------------------------
  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding