Cameron Simpson responded:

I found my problem.

A while back, and I totally forgot that I did it, someone posted a bunch of
as site URLs, which were then put into your local host file and redirected
to your localhost 127.0.0.1 address.

Well, Netscape doesn't like that.  It effectively strips off the URL and asks
my web server to supply the ad page, which it can't.  I think opera gets around
the problem because the ad request starts another page, which would contain
the error.

After removing all the entries, things are much better.

>By the way, your pain can be lessened with this tool:
>
>       http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/adzap/

I might think about this.  Looking at squid, it wants lots of disc space to
do its caching, space I really don't want to give up for that.  If squid
can be configured to run really tiny for cache and not cause a performance
hit on my box, I just might do that.

But, if I am reading everything correctly, it doesn't make the ads pages
that pop up go away, it just replaces them with a small gif, or whatever you
want.  That means those popups will still pop up :-(  Either way, I still
have to close them.

Isn't there a fast and smart program that can be placed between the browser
and the net that read the HTML coming back to the browser that removes the
ad links from the incoming web page, replacing them with "nothing?"

MB
--
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       It is God's job to forgive bin Laden.
                                It is our job to set up the meeting.