We're trying to set up an Internet gateway (ADSL) for
an establishment that needs to be able to track who is
generating the traffic.

The Network runs on DHCP, so users will not a fixed IP
address that can be associated with a location. So we
have to do it either through :

a solution that allows each location to be connected to
an independently addressible port on a piece of
hardware (preferably a cheap one) somewhere; the port
is physically connected to a known location, ensuring
the IP's location can be identified; or

a software solution; several have been proposed:

HTTP redirection using a recompiled version of apache
running as root; the first time a user tries any
website they get an authentication page.
using a user program (or manual log-in via a web page
and scripting) to edit the firewall dynamically and
open ports

(Sorry if the explanations here are not clear - I'm not
the Linux expert, just the project manager)

Does anyone have any other ideas - simpler ones would
be good.

Regards,
Edwin

Regards,