On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 19:54, ravi channavajhala wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Running RH-Linux 7.2 kernel 2.4.9-31 (engima) on an
> IBM thinkpad.  Everything works great, except my audio
> device.  When I play CD or run Xine, I can hear audio
> alright, but the volume is really low.  I tried my
> best to increase the volume using thinkpad volume
> controls and also from Linux itself, it just doesn't
> work.
>
> On my NT partition (yep, my laptop is dual booted),
> there is no such problem with sound.
>
> The sound driver I have is
>
> CARDTYPE=CS46XX
> Cirrus Logic|CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear SoundFusion
> Audio Accelerator]
>
> I have tested with esd and without esd too, absolutely
> no changes.  Invoking xine with xine -A esd and trying
> different channels didn't do good.  The sound quality
> is still horrible.  Any help is appreciated.  The
> problem is not just limited to Xine, same issue with
> gtcd etc.,
>
> -ravi

I have a CMI8330 sound chip driven by the commercial OSS drivers, and I
find that when I first start up the drivers, the sound volume will be
very low until I open gmix, and sometimes I have to fiddle with the
different volume controls (not just master, but PCM or CD volume
controls) to get full volume (and it's not just simply turning the
volume up, either. Just clicking on the slider or moving it an
infinitesimal amount will bring about a dramatic increase in volume,
after which the mixer operates normally). I know it's a different sound
card/driver than you're using, but perhaps the same magic solution
applies.

Alternatively, have you tried using the ALSA drivers?
http://www.alsa-project.org

--
Trevor Hamm